Thursday, 24 February 2011

Painting WIP

Here's a pic of some figures I've been working on. Hoping to get some time to finish them off this weekend . Except the clown (waiting for varnishing) the figures will be used for some Strange Aeons games. Hoping to get some larger lurkers finished over the weekend too.

Saturday, 12 February 2011

Bubo the Clown

Been working on painting this guy up. Took some test pics pre varnishing. I thought it would be interesting to paint  the warty lumps a darker colour than the skin. It turned out to be tricky to do and seemed to take ages, still clown pants are always fun to paint.

A group shot with the other two clowns.

Thursday, 3 February 2011


Here's some pictures of painted shoggoths, the latest model I've sculpted for my Dark Foam range. Almost all of the shoggoths previously sculpted were done so low and flat so for this one I went for a taller more blob like version. The thing with sculpting one of these is you've just got to pick a shape and go for it because of the amorphous nature of the creature, described as constantly changing form with the green bubble-like eyes forming and unforming constantly. Any sculpt of a shoggoth ends up being a like a snapshot of the thing. Like the old Grenadier and Rafm shoggoths I went for toothless "mouths" mere pukered holes. In the story the creature came from it was not a host of toothy jaws the sent someone insane but from the suggestion that the thing could develop a rudimenty form of speech.

The model itself is a resin casting. Here's a pictures of my painted version of the basic model.

Now Lovecraft had a thing about tentacles so it would be poor form not to give one of these at least a few :)
Here's a second models with three tentacles from my Son of Yog-Sothoth kit.

I painted the models with Vallejo paints. Basic method was to drybrush the whole thing in progessively lighter shades of green. A little red mixed with green was painted around the mouths then the whole this was washed with thinned black acrylic. I kept applying wahes until the body was suitably dark. Once that was done the eyes were picked out with a progression of mutation, sick, escorpena and livery green. the the whole thing was given multiple coats of gloss varnish.

Finally a couple of pics of the shoggoths next to a figure for scale. "Tekeli-li Tekeli-li"